Monday, May 27, 2013

End of Boredom. Day 2: Love of Your Life

"Day" 2 has been completed. The day's task was to gaze at everyone wondering whether there were my one true love, and act in consequence. I did this task on Saturday, purposely chosen so that I would have to go to work (I didn't want my co-workers to think me any stranger than they already do by gazing at them). The day was spent at home, a little bit of shopping, and travelling to Knoxville to play a show at a gay bar.

I have to say that the overall experience was interesting, and not nearly as entertaining as I thought it might be. As I thought about my task, I expected to have people pay more attention to me (in the same way I paid attention to them) as well as have them perhaps feel uncomfortable as I fixated them in my gaze and pondered their qualities. This was not the case. Most of the problem, I think, is that I'm already incredibly self-aware and have an excellent idea of the type of character my "true love" is. The other problem is that I've already met the person I intend to spend the rest of my life with. For the sake of this exercise, I was more than willing to gaze at people to see what I'd think if they, also, could be a "one" for me, but I found it to be work. It was near impossible to not compare them to my known "one", and every time these new people fell short.

The other hiccup was that I was surrounded by homosexuals for much of the duration of this task. That knowledge in advance, and knowing that I personally don't swing that way, put up an additional barrier for my gazing. Really, the end result was that I merely glanced at people, gave a smile and attempted to consider their potential as a life partner for myself. I estimated that that activity would take at least a minute for each person, but in reality it only lasted a few seconds.

I also disliked how it changed my perspective of these individuals. As I don't normally meet people with the intention of sizing them up to see if they're my long lost true love, I almost always immediately like everyone I meet. This exercise, however, caused me to view new people slightly more negatively, as I was immediately finding them to not be "the one" for me.

Day 2: Success
Changes: I have a greater appreciation for my normal way of being. I'm glad that I don't gaze at everyone I meet to see if they're "the one."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
http://google.com/analytics/.