Tuesday, December 7, 2010

New Fry Alert: Blackstone Brewery

Well, I've done it. I've finally made it out to a new place in Nashville! I feel like it has been ages since I've gone anywhere new, but this week I had lunch at Blackstone Brewery. In general, I enjoy breweries. I tend to like the atmosphere of them, and I also enjoy trying local items. Their food, however, is usually not as good as a hole-in-the-wall pub, and they are usually much more expensive. The dinner menu for Blackstone fits that bill (no pun intended). Their lunch menu, however, was fairly reasonably priced. I ordered a burger and fries (my typical choice) and was anxious to finally try out some new pommes frites. They were, in a word, DELICIOUS. What's frustrating, though, is that I can't even explain why they were so good. They looked like any other french fry that comes frozen in a large bag and thrown in a fryer (see pic below).


The taste, however, was above average. There was no visible seasoning to account for the added goodness, and all I could discern for sure was salt, but there was something else. Something wonderful. The burger was less than stellar, but those fries were praiseworthy. I doubt they will be the best fries in Nashville, but they are certainly the best fries I've had in a long time.

As it was also a brewery (and I am trying to acquire an appreciation for beer), I decided to buy some of the local brew. Since I couldn't afford to drink any during lunch, as I had to return to work shortly after, I bought a growler to have some later. Up until that point, I had no idea what a growler was. Clicking on the link will take you to a fun article that explains the growler as well as some theories regarding its origin. At any rate, I bought myself one, had it filled with their Nut Brown Ale, and brought it home. The benefit of this is that I can now take it to any brewery in the future and carry out beer! What a great invention! Although, I must say, I feel a little silly about the thought of carrying around a growler, especially considering how infrequently I drink. Now if only I could find some company to drink the newly purchased 1/2 gallon of beer with...

Today's Wit: A piece of string walked into a bar and said "Gimme a beer!" but the bartender said "Get outta here! We don't serve your kind here!" So the string left, but he was thirsty, and he really wanted a beer, so he messed up his hair real badly and looped himself around until he had tied himself into a knot. When the string went back into the bar, the bartender looked at him suspiciously and said "Aren't you that worthless piece of string I just threw outta here?" No, the string replied, "I'm a frayed knot!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
http://google.com/analytics/.