Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Broke, Bored, but Entertained

It's been awhile since I've updated. This is largely because I'm so broke. Not the kind of broke where you say you're broke, even though you're not. Where what you really mean is, "I know this is unwise spending. I shouldn't do it, but I'm going to anyway." I mean the kind of broke where I literally have $10 to spend on food a week. total. That's it. And that needs to include things like toiletries, dish soap, and the like. This also means that I no longer have cable, or the ability to go hang out in bars, coffee shops, or shows of any form.

I'm still rather happy. More so than I've been in years. And in all honesty, I don't miss television as much as I thought I would. My current financial predicament does occasionally lead to large bouts of boredom, though, especially when most everything these days costs a pretty penny.

So tonight, my amazing roommate/best friend and I decided to find a way to entertain ourselves. We hopped online and found creative writing exercises to not only feel creative (we're nerdy), but to also get to know one another better, and have a new experience to share (did I mention we're nerdy?). What follows is my response to one of the exercises that we did. I share this with you not because I think it is good (it's not), but because I had such a blast doing it, and I want you to do it, too. It was free entertainment that allowed us to be creative, and to also share our creations with one another. The exercise comes from here. We did the random stimulation exercise. In ten minutes, and two random words (mine were "tire" and "type-setting"), this is what I wrote (complete with spelling errors and all):


Ugh. Here I am again. Stuck  in this stupid, thankless copy-editing job. No matter what I do, the type-setting is never correct. Too much margin space. Too many spaces between paragraphs. Do not, under any circustances, use Comic Sans as a font. Make sure the page is the correct color. Did you remember to check the grammar? Like I have nothing better to do than deal with nit-picky formatting issues. Granted, this is what I’m getting paid for, but I swear, nobody is reading these piece of shit bulletins for the Society for Emotionally Distraught Animals anyway. At least not enough to care what font I use. People like Comic Sans. I’m not sure why my boss is so against it. He claims it’s “unprofessional.” Yet, somehow, spending thousands of dollars on an organization devoted to a cause that neither saves lives in any form (human or not), nor pays its employees hire than minimum way, is completely okay. If I didn’t need this job so desperately, I’d quit. It’s such a shame that this is the only job I can get. I have a Master of Fine Arts degree in dramatic writing, and this is the only employment I can find. The only joy, the only solace I have during my days, are doing the petty, passive-aggressive antics to annoy my boss. Is this immature? Yes. Does it prevent me from suicide? Also yes. This, incidentally, means that what I do during the day actually saves a human life. More than I can say for SEDA. My favorite “prank”, if you can even call it that, was the bulletin I designed for last-years Traffic and Safety Awareness campaign. The whole ordeal, apparently, is to make people aware that driving too close to the edge of the road when an animal, such as a squirrel, is nearby, causes the squirrel undue stress. So, despite the fact that no laws are being broken, the task of the day was to ask drivers to drive closer to the center line if they happened to see an animal on the edge, to prevent animal stress. Due to a lapse in judgment by my boss, I was put in charge of the first draft of the bulletin. I decided to create an image of a giant tire. The kind of tire found on monster trucks. And place it near the edge of the road near the cutest bunny I could find. And I had the bunny’s eyes bugging out of its head, with a tagline that read “Driving to close to the edge can cause strain, even if it doesn’t cause a stain” with another pic, of the exact same bunny, only smashed with the tire stained red. Priceless.

I can honestly say that trading stories with my friend is some of the most fun I've had in a while. So if you're bored and broke like me, but have some nerdy friends and some time, I'd recommend doing silly things like this. I'm gonna keep posting my own responses to various exercises that I do, and I would love for you to do them as well and post your responses in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
http://google.com/analytics/.